Attendance and Absences
Attendance and Absences
Regular school attendance is essential for a student to make the most of his or her education—to benefit from teacher-led and school activities, to build each day’s learning on the previous day’s, and to grow as an individual. Absences from class may result in serious disruption of a student’s mastery of the instructional materials; therefore, the student and parent should make every effort to avoid unnecessary absences.
- Students are expected to get to school on time.
- If a student will be absent, the parent or legal guardian should call his/her student’s alpha principal with the student’s name and reason for absence.
- The alpha principal’s office must receive a written confirmation of the absence signed by the parent or legal guardian within 2 days of the absence or written confirmation from a physician’s office within 3 days of the absence in order for a student to not be considered truant.
- Students should drop off their absence note upon arrival to school to their alpha principal’s office.
- Students arriving late to school are considered tardy with the exception of a late school bus.
*Absence notes must be signed by parent, legal guardian or physician’s office; therefore, e-mails are not accepted.
Homework Request for Absences
As stated in the TISD Handbook, school work missed due to short-term absences (3 days or less) may be made up after the student is well and returns to school. Parents may request make up work resulting from extended absences by calling reception at 281-357-3230 ext. 1000 after the 3rd day of absence.
Requests for assignments received by 10:00 AM will be ready the next school day for pick up. No make-up work will be issued prior to an absence. It is preferable that a parent pick up assignments.
Students Leaving Early - Check Out Procedures
- Student must bring a signed parent note to their alpha principal’s office upon arriving to school.
- Alpha principal’s secretary will give the student a temporary pass which will allow the student to be dismissed from class five minutes prior to the pick-up time indicated on the parent note.
- Student will return to alpha principal’s office and sign out and receive a yellow dismissal pass. The dismissal pass is left with the receptionist upon student’s exit from building.
*A signed fax is acceptable. Emails ARE NOT accepted.