Virtual Financial Aid Night Fall 2020 Presentation Recordings
Step 1 - Create your FSAID
- Create your username/password for the FAFSA or FSAID. (Refer to videos below or the following PDF: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/sites/default/files/creating-using-fsaid.pdf
- Use a personal email account you will have access to after you graduate. You will need to verify your FSAID through this email. Keep this information in order to complete your FAFSA every year you are in college.
- One parent must create their FSAID as well to serve as their electronic signature for completing the FAFSA using a separate email address.
- If you have older siblings in college who have completed their FAFSA recently, your parent may have already created one. They may use this same FSAID.
- How can my parent fill out the FAFSA if they can't use my FSA ID? Click HERE for tips on the FSAID and Save Key.
Step 2 - Gather your documents
To complete the FAFSA, you will need:
- Your Social Security Number
- Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
- Your federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)
- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
- An FSA ID to sign electronically
Step 3 - File your FAFSA
FAFSA 2022-2023 Quick Instructions – Using your parent’s 2020 tax information
- Go to studentaid.gov and click "Start Here" under "New to the FAFSA Process?"
- Complete student information including adding up to 10 colleges where you plan to apply.
- Complete parent information. Parents may be eligible to use the IRS Retrieval Tool, which will complete most of the required tax information on the FAFSA for you.
- Check for errors. Call FAFSA if you have any technical difficulties or have questions about tax information, etc. 1-800- 4 – FED – AID / (1-800-433-3243).
- Submit your FAFSA by providing your FSAID and parent’s FSAID as an electronic signature.
- You should receive a copy of your confirmation page via email.
** Sibling Transfer: If you have siblings already in college, look for the “transfer your parents’ information into a new FAFSA” hyperlink on the confirmation page. The link to transfer displays on the "Confirmation" page after you and your parent sign and submit your FAFSA. The link is only available from the "Confirmation" page, so be sure to look for it as soon as you've submitted your FAFSA. You cannot return to the "Confirmation" page later to access the link.
Make sure you have your pop-up blocker turned off before you click on the link. Have the sibling’s FSAID ready to make sure this process goes smoothly. Click HERE for more information.
Not Eligible for FAFSA? Complete the TASFA